Workshop on Hot Topics in Risk Analysis
Date: August 1 - 2, 2009
The workshop brought together food safety regulatory and private sector officials from twenty APEC economies to share information on different approaches to meet key food safety challenges affecting food and agriculture trade in the Asia Pacific region. The discussion covered both technical and more general topics related to food safety, from addressing specific pathogens in foods to examining the roles of public and private sector stakeholders in improving food safety.
The objectives of this workshop were:
- Reinforce the issue of science-based decision making and the importance of carrying out a proper risk assessment prior to implementation of policies or regulations that may restrict international trade.
- Generate a discussion that will move APEC economies towards developing a consensus position on the use of risk analysis approached and methods when market access may be affected, as stipulated in the WTO SPS Agreement.
The workshop was a clear success in terms of information shared among influential public and private sector officials and in terms of commitments from both private and public sector officials to strive to use science-based approaches to facilitate trade in safe foods. The workshop also identified a critical need to share information regarding approaches to risk management and communication. Other stakeholders, including consumers, must be made aware of the value of science-based risk analysis to food safety and the availability of foods from around the world.
- May 15-16, 2023, APEC Food Safety Cooperation Forum (FSCF) PTIN Workshop on Risk Communication Related to Maximum Residue Limits (MRLs), Detroit, Michigan
- May 17, 2023 FSCF PTIN Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS) and Laboratory Capacity Building of Environmental Testing for Foodborne Pathogens Workshop, Detroit, Michigan
- May 18, 2023 FSCF Public Private Innovation Dialogue, Detroit, Michigan
- May 19 2023, FSCF Conference, Detroit, Michigan
- FSCF PTIN Pesticide MRL Harmonization: A Trade Facilitative Approach to MRL Compliance, December 16-17, 2020, Virtual
- FSCF PTIN Success Stories from FSCF Export Certificate Reductions, Expected February 2021, Virtual
- FSCF PTIN Sanitary Phytosanitary (SPS) Document Digitalization, What Industry and Government Need: Three Seminars to Collect Perspectives on E-Certification in the Past and Future, Expected Spring 2021, Virtual
- FSCF PTIN Whole Genome Sequencing: Laboratory Capacity Building for Environmental Food Safety Testing Workstream
- Virtual Awareness Webinars in early 2021,
- How WGS has revolutionized food safety: from environmental sampling to foodborne disease prevention, response, and mitigation, May 2021, Virtual
- Sub-Regional In-Lab Trainings, July 2021-October 2022,
- Teach-Forward by Training Participants, September 2021-December 2022
- Workshop for Food Safety Experts and Policymakers, presentations by ToTs, May 2023
- Food Safety Cooperation Forum, 2021, Virtual
- FSCF Partnership Training Institute Network Steering Group, 2021, Virtual
Virtual FSCF Framework on Risk Communication, Workshop 2
December 2-3, 2020
Virtual FSCF Framework on Risk Communication, Workshop 1
July 24, 2020